Forest and Land Management
- Coalition For Sustainable Forests of NL
- Community Forestry And Ecosystem-Based Planning
- NL Public Lands Coalition
Coalition for Sustainable Forests (CSF) of Newfoundland and Labrador
Sustainable Forest Management is the management to maintain and enhance the long-term health of forest ecosystems, while providing ecological, social, and cultural opportunities for the benefit of present and future generations (source: Canadian Standards Association).
Vision: To coordinate a coalition of citizens and interest groups with regional representation in order to provide clear direction to assist Government in implementing a Sustainable Forest Management Strategy.
Mission: Clearly define and contribute to the successful implementation of ecosystem-based planning in forest management in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Re-define forest management to fit within the objectives and needs of community-based planning and development, i.e., local ownership.
- To encourage and contribute to the development of ecosystem-based guidelines for each ecoregion in the province.
- Contribute to the development of a template for applying ecosystem-based planning to forest management in the province.
- Help create clear links between 5-year forest district plans and ecological management objectives in the province.
- Contribute to the development of 5-year forest district plans that are consistent with the sustainable forest management strategy of the province and principles of sustainable forest management as defined by the Canadian Council of Forest Ministers (1992) criteria framework.
- Establish community-based groups and contacts in order to promote local sustainable forest management practices.
- Establish regional representation on the CSF for the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Establish a highly credible scientific advisory group to the CSF.
- Provide an introductory letter to government and seek direct meeting and partnerships with the Minister of Natural Resources and Minister of Environment and Conservation.
- Develop media press releases for public information establishing the CSF mandate, concerns, and proposed actions.
- Coordinate a request for class assessment by the Department of Environment and Conservation of forest management in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Meet with and coordinate as necessary to disseminate information and liaisons on sustainable forest management.
- Where possible coordinate and encourage workshops and symposia on ecologically-based forest management and ecosystem-based planning.